Revisiting Cerro Seco

Last year I was a volunteer for a month at Reserva Biologica Cerro Seco in Bahia de Caraquez. When I left, I promised myself to return. Nine months later, following a couple botany jobs to save up some money, and some good time with family and friends, here I am. This time, I plan to stay for a year, realizing a greater contribution to projects and integrating myself more as I live abroad for a longer period of time.

Settling in, I rediscover each day why I wanted to return. Each day is different and there is something to discover. There are interesting insects and animals and plants if you slow down and take the time to look. There are multifaceted and integrated environmental education efforts in collaboration with the local schools and the ministerio. Reforestation efforts are going strong and there are plans to re-plant several hundred hectares. Small trees fill viveros throughout the immediate region as they await placement in the soil. Some days I try new fruits and juices, such as noni, coco, aloe vera, guayabana; at the same time I’m learning about the delicious traditional foods of the Manabi region, such as viche, seco de albacora, ceviche. Right now we’re drinking café from the area, roasted on the stove right here.

The vivero at La Gorda

The view at La Gorda

Marco with una culebra.

Grasshopper.

Una langosta (lobster).

Group of students from the local high school who toured the reserve.

I hope to fill you in on details of the cool projects that are going on while I’m here!

Comentarios

Entradas populares